How to Tell When You Need New Brakes
Learning how to tell when you need new brakes means everything from avoiding expensive repairs instead of catching problems early to seriously cutting down on the risk of an accident.
Luckily enough, there are plenty of signs that should alert you:
- Unpleasant Sounds
- Excessive Vibration
- Pulling to One Side
- Increased Stopping Distances
- Sinking Pedal
If you have any questions about these noises, contact our service department and speak with one of our highly-trained service technicians.
Don’t Ignore These Common Signs You Might Need New Brakes
- Unpleasant Sounds: Hear any scratching, grinding, or scraping sounds when you apply the brakes? Those metal-on-metal sounds are created when brake pads wear down to a certain point and expose the wear bar. That sound is actually a warning you need to have the brake pads changed.
- Excessive Vibration: Even if you don’t hear anything wrong, you might feel something wrong. If your car vibrates upon braking, you could be facing issues with anything from the pads to the rotors to the calipers. It’s an easy enough issue to ignore, but it’s often the first symptom of a major problem.
- Pulling to One Side: When you apply the brakes, does your vehicle seem to pull to either side? If so, you could have a braking issue where friction on one side is greater than the other. This could be caused by a stuck caliper, collapsed brake hose, or simply by brake pads with uneven wear.
- Increased Stopping Distances: Stopping distances get steadily longer as your brakes start to age. If you’ve started feeling you need to push down the pedal harder than before or leave more space to deaccelerate, your brakes probably need to be looked at. Remember, poor stopping distances can lead to serious accidents.
- Sinking Pedal: Sometimes braking issues lead to a pedal sinking. This simply means the brake pedal goes down too far or too easily when you need to bring the vehicle to a stop. It’s often a sign of a leak in the braking system.
Visit the Cox Chevy Service Center for Expert Brake Repair and Replacement
Sometimes needing new brakes means nothing more than a few new pads, but you’ll never know for sure unless you take advantage of professional servicing. To get just that, feel free to visit Cox Chevy today. Contact us with questions about your brakes or to schedule a service appointment. Be sure to browse our current service specials and save on your next visit!
Learn More at Cox Chevrolet
Sarasota drivers picking out a new Chevy Blazer may find that the price influences which model they ultimately choose. Find out how much each Chevy Blazer trim costs with Cox Chevrolet, and then read on to discover what you can expect at each 2019 Chevy Blazer price point! Chevrolet Blazer: Starting at $32,300 MSRP Chevrolet Blazer…
The Chevy Silverado 1500 is not only one of the most well-respected vehicles by Sarasota truck lovers, but also by industry experts as well. Don’t believe us? Check out these Chevy Silverado 1500 reviews to see for yourself, then keep reading to learn what the new Silverado has to offer you. New Chevrolet Silverado 1500…
Want to get around Sarasota more efficiently? Thanks to the 2019 Chevrolet Malibu fuel economy ratings, that’s entirely possible! This midsize car makes all Bradenton destinations completely accessible, especially if you decide to drive the Malibu Hybrid. Find out what’s in store with Cox Chevrolet! New Chevrolet Malibu Inventory Contact Us Turbocharged Engines The new Chevrolet Malibu…