How to Tell When You Need New Brakes
Learning how to tell when you need new brakes means everything from avoiding expensive repairs instead of catching problems early to seriously cutting down on the risk of an accident.
Luckily enough, there are plenty of signs that should alert you:
- Unpleasant Sounds
- Excessive Vibration
- Pulling to One Side
- Increased Stopping Distances
- Sinking Pedal
If you have any questions about these noises, contact our service department and speak with one of our highly-trained service technicians.
Don’t Ignore These Common Signs You Might Need New Brakes
- Unpleasant Sounds: Hear any scratching, grinding, or scraping sounds when you apply the brakes? Those metal-on-metal sounds are created when brake pads wear down to a certain point and expose the wear bar. That sound is actually a warning you need to have the brake pads changed.
- Excessive Vibration: Even if you don’t hear anything wrong, you might feel something wrong. If your car vibrates upon braking, you could be facing issues with anything from the pads to the rotors to the calipers. It’s an easy enough issue to ignore, but it’s often the first symptom of a major problem.
- Pulling to One Side: When you apply the brakes, does your vehicle seem to pull to either side? If so, you could have a braking issue where friction on one side is greater than the other. This could be caused by a stuck caliper, collapsed brake hose, or simply by brake pads with uneven wear.
- Increased Stopping Distances: Stopping distances get steadily longer as your brakes start to age. If you’ve started feeling you need to push down the pedal harder than before or leave more space to deaccelerate, your brakes probably need to be looked at. Remember, poor stopping distances can lead to serious accidents.
- Sinking Pedal: Sometimes braking issues lead to a pedal sinking. This simply means the brake pedal goes down too far or too easily when you need to bring the vehicle to a stop. It’s often a sign of a leak in the braking system.
Visit the Cox Chevy Service Center for Expert Brake Repair and Replacement
Sometimes needing new brakes means nothing more than a few new pads, but you’ll never know for sure unless you take advantage of professional servicing. To get just that, feel free to visit Cox Chevy today. Contact us with questions about your brakes or to schedule a service appointment. Be sure to browse our current service specials and save on your next visit!
Learn More at Cox Chevrolet
When shopping for an SUV that can handle every job task and Sarasota weekend adventure, check out the 2020 Chevy Traverse. Compared to competitors like the GMC Acadia, the Chevy Traverse has impeccable engine performance that boosts the Chevy Traverse towing capacity to 5,000 pounds – enough to haul a compact camper or a small…
The incoming 2021 Chevy Suburban and 2021 Chevy Tahoe have raised the ears of many Bradenton drivers. The 2021 Tahoe and 2021 Chevy Suburban release date is set for mid-2020, and the newest offerings follow a long legacy of quality with ample space and high-end features across all trim levels. For those who are making…
When you’re cruising around Sarasota, do you find yourself fantasizing about being behind the wheel of a high-performance sports car with aggressive style to match its road prowess? If so, you should know that the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette has finally arrived here in Bradenton, and it was made for you. You can learn all about…