ABOUT COX CHEVROLET
According to family lore, the Cox family has been in the automobile business since the early 1900s. During the teens and twenties they operated a Ford franchise in Ocilla, Georgia. During the boom years of the Roaring Twenties they moved to Avon Park, Florida where they operated a Dodge dealership. Cox Chevrolet, Inc. has a long and interesting history.
Our Chevrolet dealership began in 1926 as two separate dealerships; one was located in Ocilla, Georgia and run by Mr. J.P. Cox, the other dealership was in Tifton, Georgia run by Mr. J.O. Cox, Sr. In 1932 both dealerships were sold and the father and son joined together to form one dealership in Bradenton, Florida. At that time, Mr. J.P. Cox was the dealer.
In 1938 Mr. J.P. Cox passed away and his son, Mr. J.O. Cox, Sr. became the dealer. When Mr. J.O. Cox, Jr. returned from military service in 1945, he became the dealer.
Cox Chevrolet has continued to grow over the years and in 1978 the existing facility on Cortez Road was opened to meet the company’s and customers’ expanding needs. The sons of Mr. J.O. Cox, Jr., Steve Cox and Gary R. Cox, are now operating the dealership along with their children, who are the 5th generation to be in the business.
Click to view the full timeline from 1926 to present!
Three generations of Cox family pose at the 1978 groundbreaking: Steve Cox, J.O. Cox Jr, Gary Cox, and Kristopher Cox.
Cox Dealership as it looked in the 1940s. Bradenton, FL